Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Assignment #5: It's Really Cold

It was not that easy to live in Canada when settlers first came to Canada. Lots of people died from suffering, but some people lived. They have several challenges, because they were not used to the cold of winter. First of all, there were diseases such as cholera and small pox. There are no hospitals, so they have to use home remedies. They had a fear of getting lost when there's a snow blizzard. They have to find enough woods in order to survive in winter. And, not all of the people speak the same language as the settlers, so it was hard to communicate.

But, no matter how hard living in Canada might be, they could still survived using the stuffs that were available around them. For shelter, Acadians built log houses with woods they found on nearby forests
, but some of them built houses from stones. They also used woods to make a fire, which was used to heat and to cook. For the Inuits, they lived in sod homes or igloos. They usually hunt fishes and wild animals for foods. They also hunt wild animals for their skins (for clothing) and their fur (for warmth). They wore cloth, wool and other fabrics to keep them warm. It's no just that. No matter what type of weather Canada have, they can finally own their own farm. The place was not crowded and it was free from pollution. It turned out that Canada was actually a good place to live after all.

My dad have to move to Canada to work, so my family have to move too so we're not far away from each other. When I came to Canada, my first opinion about winter was it was the coldest season ever. I never had winter in my country before, because there are no seasons in my country. Every month is a sunny day, and sometimes it rains. After a while, I started adapting to the cold weather, because I started to get used to it. And I always do something at school, so I didn't always felt the cold weather. Instead, I had fun living here!

-Challenges that early Canadians faced
-Daily life for settlers
-The reasons of why people are immigrating to Canada

6 comments :):

Janet said...

Like your new post! It's sooo descriptive!

Marsha C said...

Thanks Janet! =D

Shauna Pollock said...

Thanks for adding a comment feature!

This is a very very well done post!

Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

hi marsha i think your blog is really cool and colorfull but your template is to small and if you can please leave a comment on my blog

Anonymous said...

I lloooovvveee that template of yours!!! It's so colorful and those cute little pics-- so pretty!

Marsha C said...

Thank you! :)