Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Assignment #8: The Real Riel *not*


MYSELF: We're back to SPILL!, the juiciest show on earth. Today, as usual, I'll bring another hero to interview for --and of course, to spill their secrets. But this person is a little different. For the Métis, he is known as a hero or an inspiring spokesperson, though some people thought that he is a traitor or a villain. Isn't that strange? Anyways, let's give it for.. Louis Riel!

*a bunch of people applauded when Louis entered the room*

LOUIS: Thank you, thank you, everyone! I am so glad to be here, since I have nothing else to do rather than sleeping on the grave.

MYSELF: *looking at his fancy clothes* Wow, I just love your clothing. Since when did you wore those? It looks like you just washed it on a washing machine. But that's impossible, right? Because you just got up from the grave.

LOUIS: Eh..er..erm...yeah. Uh..yes, thank you. I like to keep my clothes clean, even though there are lots of worms that wants to eat me and my clothes. I'm pretty tidy, aren't I?

MYSELF: That explains so much. So, before we begin our conversation, couldyou tell us a little bit about yourself?

LOUIS: Sure! First of all, my full name is Louis David Riel. I am known as a traitor by some..

MYSELF: Hello, we already know that! What I meant was, you have to tell us things like the day you were born, how many siblings that you have or something.

LOUIS: Well, if you insist. I was born in the Red River Colony on 22 October 1844. I had eleven siblings, and I was the eldest of all. I'm a son of a Métis leader and a French-Canadian mother, which is why I lived in a French Canadian-Métis family. Pretty complicated, right? But at least it makes sense. I died.. *looking at his palm* on 16 November 1885 when I was 41 years old in Regina. Just so you know, Red River Colony is now called Winnipeg.

MYSELF: Okay, okay! Enough with that! So, have you ever been educated before?

LOUIS: Indeed I have. I was first educated by Roman Catholic priests at St. Boniface. Then came Alexandre Taché who was promoting priesthood for talented young Métis. I was interested on priesthood, so I went to the the Petit Séminaire of the Collège de Montréal in Montreal, Quebec, arranged by Taché. And then my father died on 1864. I was so sad that I lost interest in priesthood! *fake crying*

MYSELF: Are you crying? Oh, I'm so sorry! Do you need a tissue?

LOUIS: No, no, no, it's okay. Let's just move on and talk about another topic. It just makes me so sad. (Heh-heh, this is a very easy way to get out of the topics that I know nothing about!)

MYSELF: Okay, up to you, Louis. So, I have another question. What kind of accomplishments that you made before?

LOUIS: First of all, I am an inspiring Métis spokesman and a teacher in Montana. I am the founder of.. what's it called? Minatoba..Manituba..Miatelly..Maniaria.. That's it! Manitoba!

MYSELF: Oh, that's impressive. So, why does some people thought that you were a traitor, but some people doesn't?

LOUIS: I was actually a victim of Ontario's religious and racial bigotry and prevailing prejudices. Although some people though of me as a troublemaker as a traitor just to stood up for my rights, beliefs, and people. Also, the Métis and the Indians saw me as a spiritual leader.

MYSELF: This is getting serious everyone. Let's be more quiet and pay attention. Because you could be the one that will win the prize today. Moving on..

LOUIS: It was not fair! I was not meant to be hanged, but they hang me anyways. About the date when I was hanged, which is 16 November 1885, was not the real date. It was moved from date to date until it reaches November the 16th.

MYSELF: I see. I started to understand why you were known as a traitor. But, could you give me more details?

LOUIS: Because the Métis people was afraid that they'll lose control to their own homeland, I was gathering some people around me to stop Canadian representatives from entering our settlement. Our actions were known as the Red River Rebelion, and I was the leader.

MYSELF: So that was the reason of why they hanged you! I get it now! Thanks for sharing the information with us. I hope you have a good night sleep. Ups, I forgot to ask you one more question. *drum roll* Is that true that you were a poet?

LOUIS: Eh..erm...I.....don't know. I'm sorry.

MYSELF: Aha! I knew that you will say that you don't know! Because you are just a poser! You're not the ghost of Louis Riel, right? Or maybe you are?

LOUIS: Okay, okay, I'm not Louis Riel, all right! My real name is Louis Raul (pronounce: rah-ul), and I'm just a big fan of Mr. Riel. I was payed by the producer because he couldn't make the real Riel back alive. Please forgive me, your very highness!

MYSELF: All right, I forgive you. SECURITY!!! Help me, there's a POSER!!!

LOUIS: I..I'm sorry. Please, just let me be in your show just this once. Please, pretty please, pretty, pretty.. *a security guard dragged him out of the show*

MYSELF: Sayonara! Goodbye! *waved at Louis Raul*

LOUIS: *mimicking* Grammy, I'm on TV!!!!!!!

MYSELF: And that's the end of our show. Thanks for watching, and we'll see you tomorrow for more spilling to do. Bye-bye, everyone!

By the way, this assignment is supposed to be an interview between Louis Riel and me, right? But, why did Louis Raul came out instead? Just stay tuned for more information..

-o-o-o-o-o-
"I have to go to sleep right away. Suddenly I felt so dizzy that I can't even stand up or sit down," I thought as I lay down on my comfy couch. In the middle of my sleep, someone knocked the door. I woke as soon as possible, then I yelled, "come in!" But it came out a bit too loud. Then there was another knock on the door. I shouted, "I told you, just come in!" Finally, the person opened the door. Though I couldn't see anybody behind that door. "Maybe it was just a coincidence," I thought. I went back to sleep. Then a sound echoed on my right ear, "I..I...am so sorry that I couldn't perform in front of the public today. I just wish..just wish..you shouldn't call the security." I shrieked. "WHO...ARE...YOU??" The ghost whispered, this time through my left ear. "I'm the ghost of Louis Riel. As a ghost, I am painfully shy when I'm in front of humans. So I went inside that Louis Raul boy's body for a while." I gasped. "I didn't know that! And, that explains it. At first Louis Raul was pretty confused, then before I knew it he was telling his life story perfectly." Then Louis' ghost continued, "after that I went into your body. It was more comfortable than it looks." I freezed, than fainted. Weirdest...day...ever!!

LINKS and SOURCES:
Mysteries of Canada - For you who wants the answer to know the title of this post (Louis Riel – Martyr, hero or traitor?), you should visit this site and read the whole page. They made the page less-boring, and it's full of questions and important facts about him.
Wikipedia - The site that most people like to visit, including me. It has all the informations about him, from his early life to his Legacy.
The Canadian Encyclopedia - It tells a lot about him already on the first paragraph. Though I don't really get the further paragraphs, so I have to read it all over again.
Library2 - Another great website about Louis Riel. There are not a lot of writings, but it's so useful.
Biographi - Finally, I can understand each paragraph!
Histori - The hypnosis is easy to understand, and there's a video on the top of the hypnosis.
And the last one..
Louis Riel's handwritten
poems.
p.s.: Check
this out!

2 comments :):

Hanifa K. said...

this is sooo coool
i really like it!!

Marsha C said...

Oh thank you Nisa! :D