Monday, March 9, 2009

Assignment #9: Diary of a Loyalist

Dear diary,
Today is the day. We, as in me and my whole family, will soon arrive at a new land called Nova Scotia. Our trip from the Thirteen Colonies and the sore feeling on my whole body will finally end. Just now I can feel the freedom in the air, but not for long. The fact of why I got kicked out from Boston hit my head for the third time today. Dear diary, I think this is the right time to tell you the real reason.

.
It was a very nice day to get outside, but there's one small tiny little problem; there's a war going on between Britain and America. Not for long I found out that the American Revolutionaries gained control of all the 13 states, which means that we have to give our loyalties to the Crown by doing things such as giving aid or volunteering to fight. Or else we will be tarred and feathered (a kind of punishment).

And we have to move out of here. And we have to move out of here. AND WE HAVE TO MOVE OUT OF HERE!!

It's really not fair. That time I felt a bit disappointed that I am one of the loyalists, though I could never change it. Our family have strong ties with Britain, and it seems like the knot is too strong for me to try to separate the two. I just wish everything stays the way it is, me, my parents, and my siblings playing together with my three best friends who were moving to Quebec. But everything changes, and I have to like it no matter what.
.

Suddenly my mood changed, from bored to excited. Even though I was sitting on the boat (which crosses the huge St. Lawrence River) for a really long time. A piece of land was stranded in front of the boat, which means that we arrived at Nova Scotia!

Let me tell you the longest part of the trip. Actually, make it the second longest part of the trip. So I was trying to get out of the boat with ma and pa, but it seems impossible to me. There were people crowding everywhere. And yes, I tried squishing, but for a tiny little girl, that would be impossible. That's right, I was stuck. For a while I looked around the room. I can see that some loyalists that brought their slaves. I felt pity for them just by looking at how miserable they looked. A lot of them looked as tired as I am, I can see eye bags almost under everyone's eye. After a couple of minutes, I finally went out of the boat and found ma, pa, and Clara standing in front of me.

The smell of this island felt new to me, though I really like how green and fresh this land is. For the fiftieth time, maybe, I stepped on Nova Scotia's land with my new handmade foot wear. To tell the truth, I have no idea where we were going. In mind, I thought about my old friends who are probably being separated from each other again. I remembered when my grandpa told me that Quebec is divided in Upper and Lower Canada before he died, thanks to an army who shot him.

As my life goes on, I experienced some bad and good experiences. We loyalists don't get along with the "Neutral Yankees", which are the old settlers here on Nova Scotia, so we tried to stay away from them as much as possible. We doubted their loyalties, and we don't trust them one bit. I started to wonder if we ever going to be friends. But life goes on, so things could be different someday.

Sources: a a a a a a

0 comments :):